Sunday, June 12, 2016

Montrose Colorado Vacation Tips

My family and I decided to take our family vacation around Memorial Day this year. We went to Montrose, Colorado! It's so beautiful and we had the best week. We found some really awesome places to visit while we were there, so I thought I'd share some of my travel tips with you. We visited family while we were there so they knew the easiest routes to get to everywhere we wanted to visit. We also had family BBQs and dinners with them that cut down on cost since we didn't have to eat out so much. If you can work in visiting family on a vacation I highly recommend it. If not, plan your vacation ahead of time. 

My first tip is to book early if you're going to travel during a holiday. I booked our room and vacation four months in advance. I was worried it would be busy but it really wasn't. Our hotel was the only place that was full, but nobody was at the pool so that wasn't a problem. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. They were so accommodating and nice. Our room was big and very clean. The free breakfast was so great and had a large variety to choose from. I found a great deal for our hotel. Do your homework and check several sites, some even price match if you call to book. I'm a rewards member so I always get a great deal and earn points towards free stays! 

Next, I googled every touristy attraction I could find. I check reviews, prices and photos to see what would be the best activities to do with my family. The Ouray Hot Springs Water Park was top on our list! The entire pool is made from the water coming from the natural hot springs. It was so cool and the view around us was breathtaking. The price was so inexpensive and my family had the best time! While we were in Ouray we walked their historic Main Street and did lots of shopping. They had the cutest stores. 

For another day, we went hiking and fishing at Ridgway State Park. It was so beautiful and we had the best time. The price was just $5 per vehicle to get into the park. Besides the lake, they had several ponds for fishing, lots of hiking trails, historic monuments to visit and beautiful picnic spots. My family and I love it there! We ate at the True Grit Cafe on our way back. It was so yummy. I had a steak salad that was huge. I looked up several restaurants and their menus before hand so we would know the best places to eat. We also looked up the free tours that factories had around Montrose. Most business give you complimentary treats or products. We visited Russell Stover and got a ton of yummy chocolates. We also visited several playgrounds. I had looked up the city and neighborhood parks that were close by and found some really neat ones for my kids. We visited family while we were there and they knew the best walking trails to get to them. 
The drive to and from Montrose was so beautiful. There were several look out spots that were stunning! If you're driving to and from your vacation spot, take the time to stop at the locations along the way. It was so worth the extra 10 minutes to see some of the beautiful look outs.

Another must have for vacations is a great bag! I won this Sage and Harper Backpack from a giveaway on Instagram. It's so cute and holds everything I need! It's the perfect bag! I used it our entire vacation. It is perfect for hikes and picnics, and taking to the beach or the pool. It holds everything from my purse and from the diaper bag I use for my kids. 
The straps on the back are so comfortable and make carrying it so easy! It has pockets and zippers on the inside so everything has a place. I've received so many compliments on this backpack. I love it and plan on taking it every where we go this summer! I've already started planning our next vacation. I hope these tips help you in planning your summer vacations. 

The Keeper of the Crayons 




No comments: