Sunday, June 12, 2016

Surgery and Fertility Update

A week ago today, I said good bye to my gallbladder that I've known for 30 years! We had some good times for 29 of them, then it turned on me and it wasn't fun and games anymore having gallbladder attacks. I was pretty nervous to be put under for the operation and went back and forth on trying to decide if I wanted it removed or not. After meeting with my surgeon 4 days before, I decided it needed to be taken out. During my appointment we found out the sludge is pretty dangerous since it can get to other organs. We didn't want that! They also found a small hernia that I had. I got it after having my second baby, he was huge so I wasn't too surprised about that. They decided to fix the hernia during my gallbladder removal surgery. My fertility RE doctor and nurses kept telling me this is just the start of the journey towards our baby. My favorite nurse Ashley kept reminding me that getting my gallbladder out will make my body healthier for us to start fertility treatment. I knew they all were right and I just had to be brave and get it removed. My amazing husband was so sweet to keep me laughing while we waited the morning of my surgery. The night before he and his cousin gave me a priesthood blessing. I had to be up at 4am, and anyone that knows me knows I'm not a morning person. But it was nice to watch the sunrise with my best friend. Before they took me back for surgery, my husband got to stay by me. I didn't want to wait by myself so I was thrilled when they let him come be with me. They made me wear a hair net, I know it sounds so glamorous, my husband was even jealous he didn't get one too. :) My nurse was amazing and after asking about my infertility journey and passed miscarriages, she kept reminding me that this surgery was just getting me one more step closer in our journey. It surprised me how many woman with infertility have had their gallbladders removed. 
Everything went great with the surgery. They day of and the day after, I was really sick and in a lot of pain. When I got into recovery, I slept for about 3 hours! They couldn't wake me up from the anesthesia so they just had to let me sleep it off. Usually after the surgery, they make you get up and walk 20 minutes into recovery because that's when it's suppose to be the easiest and help you recover quickly, but since I was asleep that didn't happen. When I finally got up to walk, I wasn't numb anymore and everything had tightened up and was swollen so walking was so painful. Just to try to walk put me into tears. I don't mean to brag, but I've got a huge pain tolerance. Sometimes it's a good thing, other times it's a bad thing, (like when I've broken bones and just let them go because it didn't hurt that bad). I've given birth 3 times, one was completely natural, and I have to say giving birth was a picnic compared to the gallbladder surgery pain. It was the worst pain I've ever felt! The nurses felt so bad and helped every way they could and my sweet husband never left my side. During the surgery, the doctor said there was a lot of sludge and cholestasis in my gallbladder so it was a good thing I had it removed. I ended up getting admitted to our local hospital two days after the surgery to get fluids and nausea medication in an iv because my liver enzymes were too high. I felt so much better after and have improved so much since. They said the enzymes were probably high just from the trauma of the surgery. 
My sweet family and friends have brought me gifts, flowers, treats and meals. We appreciate everyone who has been concerned and offered help. My husband's co-workers even brought me flowers. I thought that was so sweet of them. We're so blessed he gets to work with such great people. My mom has been so great to help with our kids and anything else we've needed. She's the best mom anyone could ever ask for! We're so lucky to live so close to our family and close friends. My kids have been so sweet drawing me pictures and coming into my room to tell me stories while I recover. They make me laugh and I love their hugs and kisses! I love them so much! My husband is seriously the best, I love him so much and couldn't have done this without him. I have a follow up appointment this week to make sure my incisions are healing and to check my labs again to make sure my liver enzymes are back to normal. Fingers crossed! I'm still in some pain, which will just take time to heal. But it's nice not having anymore gallbladder attacks and less kidney stones then what I was having. They are the worst. We start fertility treatment medications, ultrasound monitoring and trigger shots when my next cycle starts next month! I should be completely healed and recovered from the surgery by then. Hopefully. I'm excited to feel better. It's been a rough year, but I'm so grateful for all that I've learned and for all the wonderful people we have in our lives. It's truly been such a blessing going through these trials this past year. I know that totally sounds crazy but I've learned SO much about myself. And about gallbladders, kidneys, thyroids and fertility that I would like my MD now, please. :) We've been so blessed with going through this journey, and you know what, it's totally worth it. 

The Keeper of the Crayons

No comments: