Monday, October 17, 2016

Halloween Spook Treats

One of our favorite October traditions is to go "Spooking"! My kids look forward to it every year before Halloween. I usually make homemade treats for it, but this year, since I'm pregnant, I went for some easier treats! They are all store bought items, and my kids and I just put them together.  
 To start we made Twinkie Mummies and Ghosts. Out of all the treats, these took the most time, but they are still very simple to make!
 Start with a regular box of Twinkies and some cute Halloween straws. I love how inexpensive the paper straws are and how they make any treat or drink look more festive! Put the straws inside the Twinkies and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Put in the freezer for 20 minutes. This helps the straw set up inside the cream, and it helps the Twinkie not fall apart while in the melted chocolate.
My kids thought they looked yummy just like this! While you are waiting for the twinkies to freeze, melt some white melting chocolate and get some M&Ms sorted by color. Dip the frozen Twinkies in the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to set up. Place two M&Ms on the Twinkie for the eyes. For the Ghosts, add one more M&M for the mouth. The Ghosts are done once the eyes and mouth are on. For the mummies, drizzle some more white chocolate over the Twinkies to give it that wrapped Mummy effect.  
That's it for the Twinkies! I think they turned out so cute! My kids thought they were pretty neat!
The Oreo Spiders were my kids favorite treat to make! All you need are double stuffed Oreos, M&Ms and pretzel sticks. Insert 8 pretzel sticks into the sides of the Oreo. I used some of the melted chocolate from the Mummies to stick on the M&Ms for the eyes. That's it! I think they are the cutest spiders around and who doesn't love Oreos!

 The last treat we added to our Spook plates are Witches Halloween Broom Sticks. They are just mini Reses Peanut Butter Cups with stick pretzels as the handle. So easy to make. My kids loved making these ones too! You can make this as expensive and fancy as you want, or as easy and inexpensive as you like. It doesn't have to be homemade treats and you don't have to spend a lot of time on them. It's all about having fun and making great memories with your family.
We added some candy corn to the plates to go with the treats, and then wrapped them in cling wrap. We topped the plates off with this cute Spooked printable. I use this one every year because I think it is the cutest. It's free over at laurenmckinsey.com
After your plates are put together, pick some families in your neighborhood to go "Spook". Leave the plate by their door, knock really hard and then run. I usually park somewhere down the street and my husband runs with our kids. It's so much fun and we end up laughing the entire time! Hope this adds to your Fall Halloween fun! 
 
The Keeper of the Crayons


No comments: