Saturday, August 5, 2017

Near and Dear to My Heart

The American Red Cross is in need of blood donations. This is something that is really important to my family and I. When our baby daughter was stillborn this past January after a placental abruption at 30 weeks, my body went into D.I.C and I received 40 units of blood products. While we are still grieving the loss of our baby girl, we've found that giving back and sponsoring blood drives is a great way to focus on our gratitude, as well as honor our angel baby.
I am so grateful to the strangers who donated the units I received. I feel so blessed to be here with my family. I'm grateful to be able to hug my kids and kiss my husband still. I'm grateful to be able to put flowers on my baby's grave, coach my kids in sports, laugh at their jokes, go on dates with my husband, hold his hand on walks, talk to my mom on the phone, go to church, have lunch with friends, do laundry, clean up dinner dishes, watch the sun set... all these things that I took for granted before. Things that are so simple yet mean more to me than anything else since I wasn't sure if I'd get to do them ever again. I'm grateful that I am still here to live my life and enjoy making memories with my family. I wouldn't be able to do all these things if those selfless people wouldn't have donated. It's still so hard to put into words how grateful I am. They helped save my life and gave us something so priceless. I wish I could hug them all personally. 
While I was in the Intensive Care Unit, my husband and I realized that our focus after my recovery would be helping other people have the same opportunity I have been given. We wanted the passing of our daughter to mean something. In March, we held a blood drive that had a record turnout. We are hoping that our next one will have the same turnout. It's a blessing to know that our baby girl helped us save so many lives. I've posted a link below where you can find a blood drive near you. If you can, please take the time to give a blood donation. You'll never know how much it will mean to the person you help save.

Find a Red Cross Blood Drive near you HERE.

***This is not a sponsored post. It's just something so near and dear to my heart.***

The Keeper of the Crayons




No comments: